Soothing Lentil Tarka Dhal – Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Yeast Free.
- 150 grams red lentils
- 150 grams yellow split mung beans
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp himalayan or sea salt
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground gram masala
- 1 large handful fresh coriander (chopped)
- 3 – 5 fresh green chillies (seeds left in)
- 3 – 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch pink salt
- Mix dhals together, then rinse at least 4 times in warm water, drain.
- Put dhals into a pan and add 700ml of boiling water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Skim the foam off the surface, add 1 tsp of oil and simmer ¾ covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, set aside, but do not drain.
- Crush chillies and garlic together with a pinch of salt, to make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in separate pan for 30 seconds over a medium heat, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start to pop, add asafetida, turmeric, masala paste, salt, ground coriander, and ground cumin.
- Cook for one minute. Add to dhal, stir through.
- Add 100ml of boiling water, simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in garam masala.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
- Cover pan and leave to infuse for 10 minutes to allow flavours to infuse.