Neurotoxins – Do you know how many you consume on a daily basis?
Firstly, let’s clarify what they are. They’re toxins, that is, poisonous substances from a number of sources that directly damage nerve cells, often overstimulating them to death. They break the communication process between cells. Neurotoxins are linked with Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and MS. As they directly damage mitochondrial, that is the batteries of our cells, we can see how they can affect anyone with any kind of chronic exhaustive condition; M.E. CFS, Fibromyalgia.
Before we look at the top ten worst offenders, let’s take a minute to look at the most common neurotoxin people consume on a daily basis. Sugar! While not as toxic as its artificial substitute, it is still toxic enough to cause significant harm to your body when consumed on a regular basis. Unfortunately sugar is widely available in all processed and packaged foods and drinks, not just the obvious, cakes, biscuits, sweets, so it can be tricky to avoid. It’s always best to check labels.
The ten worst neurotoxins to avoid if you value your health…….
- Aspartame, Nutrasweet. Check all diet, low sugar products.
- MSG (monosodium glutamate) check labels
- Sucralose, AKA Splenda
- Aluminium, found in drinking water, antacids, vaccines, cookware.
- Mercury, drinking water, fish. Shark and tuna are especially high in mercury. Amalgam fillings, that’s the silver ones, white ones are fine. If you’re concerned about your amalgams contact Dr Brian Halvorsen at http://bagnallcentre.com to discuss their safe removal. Never get them removed by a ‘normal’ dentist as the repercussions can be devastating. The fact that mercury can cross the blood brain barrier means the removal has to be done in a specific and controlled way. Mercury is one of the most toxic of all neurotoxins and can easily destroy brain tissue. (“Study Finds Shark Fins & Meat Contain High Levels Of Neurotoxins Linked To Alzheimer’S Disease | The Rosenstiel School Of Marine And Atmospheric Science At The University Of Miami”)
- Flouride, again the good old drinking water comes up. For more information and to find out what’s in your water check out https://www.unitedutilities.com/services/your-water-supply/about-your-water/
- Hydrolysed vegetable protein, commonly found in junk food, has high concentrations of glutamate and aspartate.
- Calcium caseinate is harmful to the brain and commonly found in protein supplements, energy bars, as well as junk food.
- Sodium caseinate, mostly found in dairy products and junk food. Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, says through his studies he has found casein to be the most relevant cancer promoter ever discovered.
- Yeast extract. When I embarked on my anti-candida diet many years ago I was shocked to find just how many products contained yeast extract. Yeast extract is toxic to the brain and can be found in many processed foods. Always check labels.
Now lets have a look at fruits and vegetables, surely we can eat these aplenty, or can we……..
The below information comes from an article in the April edition of IHCAN, Integrative Healthcare and Applied Nutrition magazine, which reveals some shocking news relating to neurotoxins in fruits and vegetables. Spinach falls into the dirty dozen category of non organic foods to avoid. EWG’s The Environmental Working Groups analysis for 2017 revealed three quarters of the spinach samples they tested to have residues of a neurotoxin pesticide banned in Europe for use on food crops. The particular pesticide has been linked with behavioral issues in children.
So to avoid pesticides if buying non organic food. The list below are the ones to steer clear of. In order of most contaminated first.
Sweet bell peppers
The list below have been cited as the ‘clean 15’ as relatively few pesticides were found on these foods.
Frozen sweet peas
It’s particularly important to reduce the amount of pesticides young children consume. Even low levels can be detrimental to infants, babies and young children.
Disturbingly the pesticide residues remained on some fruits and vegetables even after they were peeled. I was aware they stayed on after washing as the pesticides can withstand rain so this would stand to reason, but I had thought peeling removed the pesticides.
The take home message then must be. If you don’t want to feed yourself or your family with food contaminated with pesticides shop organic wherever possible or use the clean 15 list of produce. And if you want to lessen your exposure to neurotoxins pay attention to food labels and reduce or cut out refined sugar.
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/casein-dairy-protein-and-your, N.p., 2017. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.
Author, A.A.. (Year, month of Publication). Article title. IHCAN, Volume(Issue), pp.-pp.
“Study Finds Shark Fins & Meat Contain High Levels Of Neurotoxins Linked To Alzheimer’S Disease The Rosenstiel School Of Marine And Atmospheric Science At The University Of Miami”. Rsmas.miami.edu. N.p., 2017. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.
https://ewg.org. N.p., 2017. Web. 24 Apr.